Saturday, February 16, 2002

Baby Names

I guess there’s no other time like the present to talk about the ever-important names that we’ve picked out. If it’s a girl: Leia Rose. If it’s a boy: Dean Gerard/Andrew.
Why Leia Rose? Many reasons.
First, Leia is a variation of Lee . . . and that is very important to the Compare side of the family because Mom mom’s first name was “Libra.” But I would be fooling myself if I didn’t mention the great importance to Star Wars. Princess Leia is the most awesome freedom fighter of our time, not to mention I used to wear my hair like her a lot when I was little. She is a great hero, a strong woman, and someone (we pray) our baby girl will be proud to have as her namesake. Leia is also an absolutely beautiful name in itself. Leia is a variation of Leah from the Bible. In Genesis 29, it says that her eyes were lovely, but still Jacob loved Rachel more. Ironically, because of a case of mistaken identity, she became Jacob’s first wife anyway. The Lord certainly blessed Leah, for “when the Lord saw that Leah was unloved, He opened her womb; but Rachel was barren.” (Well, don’t worry, Leia, you will certainly be loved!) In regards to the actual meaning of the name “Leia,” different baby books say different things (I never liked the ones that said Leia meant “weariness.”) In Hebrew Leia can either mean “gazelle” or “weary” depending on how it’s pronounced. In Assyrian Leia means “mistress” or “ruler.” In Old English Leia means “meadow” (that’s my favorite). The spiritual connotation of “Leia” is “beauty and grace” and her special scripture is Psalm 3:3. “It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of deer, and sets me on my high places.”
Second, Rose is quite significant to my favorite saint, St. Therese the Little Flower because she always sends me roses from heaven as she promised, and this name is in direct honor of her. In addition, I have become quite enamoured with a little-known saint named St. Rose of Viterbo. She was a little virgin saint who loved the Lord so much that she told people about him on the streets of Italy (again echoing our heritage) when she was only twelve-years-old, and even under threat of being beaten. Her response was, “If Jesus could be beaten for me, I can be beaten for Him.” Legend has it that, calling upon Jesus, she was able to raise her aunt from the dead. She was blessed with visions of Mary and predicted the death of the current pope. She longed to join the Franciscan order, but was refused by the abbess. She died at age eighteen, and no one is quite sure why. . . . Perhaps just to see the face of Jesus. In regards to the actual meaning of the name “Rose,” most of the baby books agree. In Latin, “Rose” means “the rose” or “the dew.” The spiritual connotation of “Rose” is “God’s Gracious Gift” and her special scripture is Isaiah 35:1. “The wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them, and the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose.”
Why Dean Gerard/Andrew? Many reasons.
First, Dean is Brian’s middle name and my dad’s first name, so Dean is in honor of both of them. In regards to the actual meaning of the name “Dean,” some of the baby books agree. In Middle English, Dean means “from the forest,” but in Old English Dean means “valley.” I have also read that it means “ruler” in other name books. The spiritual connotation of “Dean” is “prosperous,” and his special scripture is Matthew 12:35. “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things.”
Second, I want desperately for our little boy to have the middle name of Gerard because St. Gerard had so much to do with his conception, but Brian is giving me a hard time. He doesn’t like the name, and thinks it’s too French. (“People will pronounce it hair-AAARD!” he says.) Well, St. Gerard is the patron saint of expectant mothers and I’ve said the prayer for conception many times, . . . and now I’m going to start the one for a safe delivery. St. Gerard was considered a simple “lay brother” because he was rejected for holy orders again and again because of his health, but he was wonderful! Especially in his ministering to young women. He preformed an extraordinary miracle for a woman in childbirth, but I have been unable to find out what the miracle was. In regards to the actual meaning of the name “Gerard,” most of the baby books agree. In Teutonic, “Gerard” means “hard spear,” but in Old German it means “strong” and “powerful.” The spiritual connotation of “Gerard” is “Trusting Heart” and his special scripture is Psalm 138:8. “The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever; do not forsake the works of your hands.” (I am incredibly partial to this name! If Brian succeeds in breaking me down, Andrew is in reference to one of the twelve apostles, . . . not too shabby either, I’ll admit.)

No comments: