Friday, December 12, 2008

Being There for Karin

I knew it was bad when Karin's dad flew down from Canada. It was a really long two days before God called me to fly to Karin's bedside. I'm not sure why. I was just a best girl friend. But I just felt like I needed to be there for Karin, . . . like she needed a friend there, . . . and there was no one to speak for her. So I got there at the exact time of this post and, honestly, I was expecting to hold a vigil in the ICU waiting room, . . . just praying for Karin's recovery. Little did I know that I was to be invited to sit by Karin's bedside with much of her family and sing, pray, talk, and grieve with them as we watched Karin's condition deteriorate. It was an honor. And yet it was so incredibly hard to witness such intense suffering on the part of everyone there, most especially Karin. But what was beautiful to see was the love surrounding her, . . . and the blessing of peace that always came over Karin when her husband, Steve, flew to her side and stroked her forehead. What a beautiful example of perfect marital love.

Going to Laurie's only to sleep, I stayed with Karin for three days (as long as I could before needing to return to my own family). Meanwhile, I was there to pray part of a Rosary with everyone before they removed Karin's life support, . . . and amazed as Karin's body began working again all on it's own. But so incredibly saddened to see the slow failure of her lungs, heart, kidney, and liver, . . . and all of the suffering involved. I am still amazed at how Karin's family welcomed me to remain. God bless them. When I went home on Sunday night and into Monday, it was the first time I can ever remember that I was truly unable to take care of my children properly. My heart was elsewhere.

1 comment:

Nina said...

Noelle, it was such a blessing to have you present!!! Thank you for being there!!! ((((((hugs))))))