Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Happy (Late) Birthday April!

This spring, Auntie April confided in me that she would love to see a post with the progression of baby birds from eggs to babies to adults. So here you are, April! Happy Birthday! All these pictures were taken right on our front porch because the house finches always nest in our hanging baskets there. It turns out that this part of a bird's life cycle: from egg to bird in flight takes exactly one month.
May 5
May 7
May 10
May 13
May 17
May 19 (Three hungry babies & two eggs!)
May 20 (One hungry baby and four sleepy babies, five in all!)
May 21
May 22
May 23
May 24
May 25
May 26
May 27 (Eyes finally opening!)
May 28
May 29
May 30
June 1
June 2
June 3
June 4
June 4 (one second later) Gone!
(The last few days, I had been climbing a ladder to see the birds instead of lifting them down. This is because I made one fly into a puddle doing that last time. This time, on June 4 when I climbed up, I was able to take only one blurry picture before they all flew away, . . . right before my eyes. Amazing!)

1 comment:

Karin said...

That's incredible!