Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Annie's First (Sudden) Trip to the Dentist

Ah, a book with the theme of the day: Tooth Trouble. *sigh* As a result of Annie's gray tooth and a pending trip to the dentist, Mamma kicked preparation into high gear. I decided NOT to wake Annie up from her nap (in order for her to be the most rested), but luckily, Annie got up about 30 minutes before we needed to leave. I spent her nap preparing, and when Annie made her first "peep," I rushed in there happily (as a really good actress) with three "new" books for Annie. We read Tooth Trouble, Danny Goes to the Dentist, and Show Me Your Smile (a Dora one). Annie was intrigued and showed no signs of fear. Amazing!!! This was my little child who I had to literally sit on to brush her teeth for 1 1/2 years!
Then I REALLY impressed her with a "new" toy: our play dentist bag! I honestly think this is the best homemade gift I have ever made. I'm guessing they don't sell these in stores for sanitary reasons, . . . and because each toy would have to say "Not for children under 3." AND "Do not put toys in mouth." Ha! Well, here's an example of a sanitary infraction that truly bettered both of my children. (But, yes, the reflex hammer is in there by mistake and belongs in the doctor's kit. Ha!) Annie and I played the quickest version of "Dentist" that I've ever played: complete with spin brush, pretend toothpaste, pretend floss, a real pick, a mirror, a bib, a mask, a novocaine shot, a spit cup, a sticker at the end, etc. Her only worry? The sound of the spin brush. Her favorite part? (Can't you guess?) Getting to use the actual toothbrush! Ha! Now, I'll be the first to say that this was NOT enough time to prepare. BUT . . .
As a result, Annie had a GREAT appointment! Yes, we still had to do everything via "lap exam" because she wouldn't sit still, but she did open her mouth willingly and only whined a tiny bit! I couldn't believe it! They even did a FULL cleaning, and Annie only just turned two!!! And she wasn't even scared of the spin brush sound this time (because it was a much softer noise than our pretend one). Dr. Robert was SO good! He talked to Annie the entire time with a soft calm voice. And what did he talk about? Well, he learned that Annie liked Snow White and kitties, . . . so THAT was what he talked about. Annie was entranced! : )
The diagnosis: yep, Annie has trauma to that front tooth caused by blood seeping into the tooth, . . . like a blood blister that never goes away. Thank GOD the tooth is not "dead." It just needs to be monitored. However, Annie has NO cavities (and I had been waiting to see if that was so, . . . considering I only brushed her once a day since a tooth appeared & only did fluoride vitamins sporadically & started fluoride toothpaste at 1 1/2). So, let that be known to any parent who has a child that struggles and cries continually during teeth brushing, . . . once a day is enough! (But once they can take it, better do it twice.) Annie even had her picture taken for the "No Cavities Tree"! : ) AND I was surprised to find that Annie's first two-year-old molar had just broken through! (On her top right.)
The bad news (good news?) is that we are NOT going to let our child have a gray front tooth until she loses it (when she's 6 or 7). SO something more will need to be done, . . . and we have decided on a "surface anterior resin" which is less intrusive than a crown and, while it won't totally whiten the tooth, it will do a good enough job for years. The date? 11/20 No sedation. Oh my. Annie and I are going to be playing AND reading lots of Dentist related things EVERY SINGLE DAY until then. Please pray for her!

No comments: