Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Annie! You're Just Like a Rhino!"

Today we saw Sarah McDowell outside of Artgarden at pickup time, so we hung out a bit by the old willow oak. I was telling Sarah how, when Leia was little, I was always able to talk her out of a tantrum; however, Annie flies off the handle at a moments notice if something happens against her wants or will. Sarah's reply to Annie was, "Annie! You're just like a rhino!!!" Ha! "You see, there are some animals in Africa that think before they charge. Like lions, for instance. They'll stop and think, 'Hmmm, are they going to come any closer?' Or elephants might flap their ears or trumpet or kick up dust. But rhinos (and buffalo)? They make a split-second decision whether to charge or run, . . . and once they have made that decision, that's IT."

So, speaking of which, perhaps I should have titled this post, "Annie! NO!!! We don't play in the toilet!!!" And my chastisement caused our little rhino made a split second decision:
. . . to scream her head off! (Well, at least this wasn't one of the kicking-and-screaming-on-the-floor-ones, . . . like it was earlier when she wanted to hold a stuffed kitty during lunch. Her reaction after one of these is always, after I stop looking and caring, to come over to me and suck her thumb while holding my leg. Got to document that one day, too.)
[You'll be happy to know, however, that before I took these pictures, I wrestled a screaming little rhino over to the sink and washed and dried her hands (and arms) first. Ha! I know what you were thinking. No, I haven't stooped that low yet, sanitation is STILL more important than picture memories.] ; )

1 comment:

Karin said...

Toooo cute!!!! :) :)

And wow -- I keep thinking that she looks sooo much like a little girl now!!!