Sunday, March 2, 2008

Emily's Baby Shower

Today I had a fun afternoon with some friends at Emily's baby shower! Quite honestly, it was the most spiritual baby shower I have ever been to, with everyone sharing a special blessing for Emily and the baby. One of which was a song!!! It was very touching! Here is Emily trying desperately to draw a baby blindfolded, which was one of the games at the shower (the hostess, Elena, and Emily's mom are in the background). Fun!

The other interesting thing was that Emily and I rode together, so it gave me a second to talk to her about birth without the children around, . . . and it forced me to pinpoint my suggestions/advice into a few minutes time. So here it goes, my list for Emily (and anyone who asks): 1. Most importantly, DON'T TALK when they are taking your blood pressure (because talking always results in a higher reading, and higher blood pressure is what can send you snowballing down the hill of intervention). 2. Sit on the toilet if you want to progress faster. 3. Tell your husband/doula to tell you to "relax your face" when you have a contraction. 4. Take advantage of a warm tub of water at the apex of labor and (if possible) have a water birth. It was fun to venture back to that point in my mind and, after the fact, figure out the exact things that helped me in so few words. : )

No comments: