Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tales from the Work Folder (late April)

It was Leia Rose who was quoted on the "Happenings of the Week" sheet this week! "Well, you know I learned how to write words by sounding them out!"
Had to show you this first, . . . this is the little painting that Leia Rose handed to me while I was at school doing the "Making Pretzels" work. : ) Is this evidence that children notice and care when a parent volunteers at school, or what!?! It says "OOY i LUV DER MOM" which translated means "Dear Mom, I love you!" So sweet!
Here is the special oyster shell that Leia Rose painted when Jessica's mom came in to volunteer.
And these, Grandma and Grandpa, are for you. They all say, "The Boat With Paper Sails" on them because Leia Rose "made these to make Grandma and Grandpa's boat look pretty." Her dream is for us to go on the boat and hold them as they blow in the wind. : ) I'm not sure if you can see it here, but each one has a big stick on it, so it looks just like a flag. We were thinking that we could put these in that big vase on the hearth to ornament the lake house? What do you think? That bottom one is my favorite. It's Grandpa, Grandma, and Leia Rose all holding hands together. That's love for ya'. : ) (And yes, the one on the top left is R2D2 and Darth Vader.)
Leia Rose also made this neat "parts of a bird" book this week.
And here is a sheet from a story Leia had been telling me about. (Sarah, you'll have to set me straight on this one, though, if I get it wrong.) Leia loved this story called "Great Gift" about a character with the same name who used a large, magic gem to help the poor.
Depicted are the different parts to Great Gift's journey.
Including a visit to the land of the cannibals. "Here, Mom. I drew a cannibal for you." "Oh my, do you know what a cannibal is?" "Sure! It's a person who eats people." Hmmm, . . . I was kind of surprised that was explained to this age child. (Mightn't it scare some of them?) But I knew it wouldn't scare MY child, so it didn't matter in the slightest. And Leia just shrugged it off as if the cannibals were eating sliced bread, or something. : )
But the most precious part about this story was the "wish" that Leia Rose dictated: "If I could use the "wish-fulfilling gem," I would wish for a school where I could help Annie learn. I could help Annie count the right way. I could also help Annie with reaching things. I can help Annie with her playing outside. One of the things I can do outside and help her with is helping her go down the steps in the garage." I melt every time. ; ) Little does Leia know that she has already gotten her wish, . . . "the school where she helps Annie learn" is called HOME. ; ) Home IS Annie's school right now, Leia, and you have one of the most important teaching jobs!!!
And now for Leia's true labor of love, . . . (this weeks labor of love, at least). This is Leia's "pet cage." Inside you can see the bottom has a big punched-out flower, "because my pets like flowers." And the different pets are decorating the sides:
There's a "ABAB FROG" translated "Baby Frog."
There's a "ABAB BRD" translated "Baby Bird."
And on the back of this one is written "ABAB TRTL" translated "Baby Turtle."
"ABAB FSH" translated "Baby Fish." "Oh no, Mamma! I forgot to make their food!" ; ) I was told to take this home "and make sure Daddy doesn't throw it away because he thinks it's not important and make sure Mamma doesn't put it in the 'save' folder." Ha! (Well, I say "ha," but the Daddy part of the comment did make me sad.) Leia keeps this one in her room (and the next one, too). : )
Now this is Leia's special "Fish Bowl" made in a similar vein with lots of blue water all around. But wait a minute, what are those adorning the sides? . . . They are origami kitties. ; ) Leia informed me that these two pet cubicles continued to take on a life of their own. ; )
Here is a nice picture of a giraffe, with an African tree in the background (as well as an attempt at the hot African sky, I suspect).
And Leia's very first picture of a house! It struck me while looking at this that she had never drawn one before!
And isn't this an absolutely gorgeous picture of a mermaid?!? Leia said she cut out some of the border to make "coral." : )

No comments: