Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hugging Sister Catherine

After school today, we went right away to Saint Thomas More School Office in order to hand in Leia Rose's tuition deposit & registration for next year. I knew I wouldn't be brave enough to take pictures inside, so I just took one in the car before hand. : ) I decided that both Leia and Annie could come in to run this short errand. Leia Really wanted to take a look at her new school, and I was very happy she was so excited about it!

Anyway, we walked into the school office, and guess who was visiting with the secretary?!? Sister Catherine, the principal!!! And Leia Rose got to meet her!!! Leia introduced herself very nicely. I was so proud of her! (Even though it was a bit hard for her to make eye contact. : ) Nuns are a bit intimidating, I guess, even one as nice as this.) And when Sister Catherine said that Leia would have Mrs. Wilson as a teacher next year, Leia Rose was quick to tell her that she already knew a girl in her Montessori class named Wilson. They had a little conversation together, with sister Catherine getting down on one knee to get on the same level with Leia Rose and complimenting Leia Rose on her pink jacket, etc. Leia Rose was a bit shy (for a change), but she did SO well considering that I didn't prepare her for this at all. When I asked Leia Rose to say, "It was nice to have met you," she did it nicely and happily. And Sister Catherine asked if she could have a hug, . . . and suddenly my daughter was hugging a real live nun for the very first time. (Oh, you KNOW I wish I had a picture of that one.)

I was telling them that I was watching The Trouble with Angels, just to see if it would be good for Leia Rose to see before she comes here, . . . and Sister Catherine said that the convent where it was filmed used to be her own: St. Mary's outside of Philadelphia. I couldn't believe it! My only issue with Leia during the visit was that I wished that she would have stood still right beside me, hands folded, not fiddling with her jacket, looking into the face of Sister Catherine while she was speaking, answering ever question respectfully and clear as a bell. Ha! Again, I was expecting too much, and I knew so. So I just guided her with a smile. : ) [But I did realize as a result that my daughter hasn't really been taught how to act in that situation, which mortified me a bit. "Ah well," I thought, "five years old isn't too late."] ; )

For the rest of the day, I found myself hoping that we made a nice impression. Going over the conversations in my mind again and again, and wondering if I said all the right things. : ) When I think of Leia Rose walking into that school, wearing the nostalgic plaid uniform jumper and blouse, . . . and embarking on a very Catholic-centric education, . . . I absolutely get teary-eyed. Every single time. I get a similar feeling only when our family enters the Magic Kingdom together. Or when we are all sharing a meaningful Christmas moment. The moments in life are few that you "just know" that the Lord is helping you make a right decision. I believe this is one of those moments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That feeling is called -- being "blessed." Funny... parades bless me too! ha!