Saturday, July 28, 2007

Leia's New Skills & Out to Dinner

Annie got a recent post about skills, . . . so here are Leia's skills and quirks these days:

First, Leia Rose has been falling asleep immediately every night. We wonder if this has to do with getting tuckered out at swimming lessons? Ironically, though, she often wakes at midnight and doesn't know why. We think we've figured it out, though. Her bladder is full, but she doesn't recognize the sensation enough in sleep to go potty and go back to bed, so she usually says that her tummy hurts. Interesting.

Second, Leia Rose read Big Egg again today and, granted, she read it last week but, my goodness, was she able to read it fast today! I was very impressed. I truly think that reading may have "clicked" today. Was I actually lucky enough to see that light bulb go on? I hope so! That was my hope and wish this summer!

Let me preface the third one by again reiterating what a wonderful big sister Leia Rose is! She always thinks of fun sister games, she's so loving, and she's makes it her life's mission to involve Annie in all of her play. Still, a 4 1/2 year old can't be perfect all the time, right? With that said, . . . Leia does something not very nice to Annie about once a month. It usually follows a statement of mine like, "Leia, can you watch Annie for a second while I go to the bathroom / set the table / get some diapers / pump up the bike tires / etc." Suddenly, I hear a *bump* and then tears from Annie. At this point Leia comes running to me and always says the same thing, "I pushed Annie backwards and made her hit her head. Now she's crying." When I ask her if she did it on purpose, she always replies with the affirmative. Interesting that she immediately tells me her infraction. Anyway, the Thinking Chair always ensues. This time, after her time in the Thinking Chair, I asked her why she does this once a month. She always replies, "I don't know." I think the real answer is, "Because I can." Leia Rose is such a good big sister, and she knows that Annie doesn't understand the "no pushing" thing yet. So when Annie pushes Leia Rose away (which is often these days because it's Annie's only way she can think of to gain her own space), Leia Rose is only supposed to say, "Annie, please don't push. Say, 'Leia Rose, please give me my space!' instead.) My theory is that Leia does this one push a month to exert her "big-sister-power" over Annie. A pecking-order type of thing. Hey, if that's our only problem these days? I'll take it! : )

Fourth, Leia Rose has been exhibiting lots of coloring/drawing skills lately. Some of them appeared while we were out to dinner:

Leia was very into drawing when we went out to dinner tonight. On the way she drew a Preying Mantis!


Then at On the Border she was intrigued by my watermelon margarita, so I asked her if she wanted to have a taste. One tiny bit and her response was just as I expected: "Eeeewwww! Yuck!"


Leia Rose also colored a wonderful picture of a Pirate Octopus!

2 comments:

April said...

Leia is drawing really well these days. I can't wait to see you guys.

Love
Auntie April

Karin said...

I agree! I was also going to say that her drawing skills are very impressive!! :)