Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Santa Scare

Running errands with two children is enough to drive me bananas! Annie had a grumpy morning and only one nap (as usual) which wasn't long enough. Then we took a quick bobike mini ride (because it was such a beautiful day and it was a shame to waste it) before we went to pick up Leia Rose. Then I took the girls to buy a curtain rod for our two new valances, . . . which turned into a huge trip to both Wal Mart & Sams. Uh! And I still needed to get gas and pick up our Lowes Foods to go order. (While I was picking it up, Leia Rose unbuckled herself from her booster seat, and when I went to put her back in, she struggled like a wild animal! And when I turned around, our personal shopper was staring at Leia with a face that looked like she just found a pile of dog poop right in the middle of her family room floor. *sigh*) We got home just in time for us to have dinner, put Annie to bed, watch Kid Nation with Leia, put Leia to bed, and make pumpkin bread and dried apples for a friend coming over tomorrow evening. . . . And the whole reason I went out was to get the curtain rods, . . . which were never installed anyway because I was too exhausted! Oh well, got to watch a leisurely Meet Me in Saint Louis with Brian as a result. : )

BUT the big news of the day was what Leia Rose said when she came over and leaned on the kitchen island while I was making dinner: "Mamma, I don't think Rudolph is real."

Oh boy.

I hadn't expected this conversation quite this early, so I said, "What do you mean you don't think Rudolph is real?!?" To which the reply was, "I don't know. I just don't think he is." And my simple reply was, "Well, don't tell that to Santa!!!" Luckily, this turned into a conversation about a few years ago when Santa had told her that Rudolph had a cold, and she thought that was really funny. And we also discussed looking for Rudolph's nose in the sky as our tradition on Christmas Eve. (But I told her, "I've never seen him close enough to pet him, though. Maybe this year.") *sigh* Funny thing was, I was fully prepared for a conversation about Santa not being real, . . . but the Rudolph thing really threw me for a loop! The Santa question really isn't that hard, I mean, Saint Nicholas IS a real person and there WERE things dropped down chimneys or in windows as a result of his love for children. So there.

No comments: