Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Tales from the Work Folder +

The day after Christmas was spent just as it should have been: with the whole family in our PJ's the entire day, just playing with toys, laughing together, watching The Muppet Christmas Carol, and eating less-than-nutritious take-out food. Leia Rose was especially enamoured with Miss Piggy's reaction to "Figgy Pudding" which she mistook as "Piggy Pudding." (See video at the bottom.)

Leia Rose played with so many of her toys today, but the one thing that she really wanted to do was to use her new "Santa Crayons" to color a special picture for her Oma and Papa who are coming tomorrow night. [Yes, Leia Rose is wearing clothes for a 3-month old. I can't stand it when she does this, hence the small number of pictures today. When she's dressed like this, I call her "Little Lord Fauntleroy."]
Today, I finally sat down with our little budding artist and had her explain each piece from her work folder for the last month. (Oh how negligent I have been!) She had some really special things to share with us, as well as some fabulous ornaments for us to hang on our tree! For example, here is yet another one of my very favorite pictures of our family. This one really made me laugh out loud, . . . because Leia Rose portrayed Brian with two-day stubble, . . . and bald! Ha!
This one is "a picture of space with galaxies."
This is a fish made from recyclables.
And I wish I could make the drawing stand out a bit more for you in this picture. At the bottom it says, "This is a picture of me and Daddy, and an outside door to my secret clubhouse."

And look at these FABULOUS Christmas ornaments that Leia Rose made at school!!! We hung them all on our tree today! (These are the things that I know I will treasure for my whole entire life. And, boy, was it hard to write the name and date on that candy cane!) : )

Leia Rose was especially proud of this dot-to-dot with capital letters. : )
Here is the special Menorah that Leia Rose (and class) did each day of Hanukkah. I wonder if friends and family would think that this kind of cultural/religious thing would upset me? (Considering the importance I put on Catholicism & a parochial education from K-12.) Here let me just say how happy I am that Leia Rose is getting a true multicultural experience at Artgarden. Truthfully, it's the only multicultural experience she'll have for another 12 years or so. And there's something about this particular age that creates a love of other cultures, while not being courted by their religious beliefs. I have very fond Montessori memories of insets of the Star of David, and Dradle games, and gold coins, etc. at Christmas time, . . . and I really feel like this early exposure led to my enjoyment of other cultures. Further, it seems to have cemented the strength of my own Catholic Faith and the knowledge of differences. Now, you start getting into the age of reason (gradeschool) and you run the risk of a child questioning matters of faith. So starting with Kindergarten, it's Saint Thomas More all the way. But as for now, hopefully we are laying the foundation of love for each child of God, no matter what their faith.


No comments: