Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Leia Swims ALL THE WAY!



Today was a very important safety milestone for the family!!! It was the day that Leia Rose learned to swim to the side of the pool herself! And she didn't just do it once, . . . she did it three times! Just to put in perspective what pride we have in our daughter about this, I'll tell you that from the time she was a couple of weeks old Leia Rose didn't like to have water anywhere near her face. That dislike/fear/phobia has stuck with her all the way (and even now I can't say she really likes going under, . . . goggles are still necessary). Leia Rose asks to hold my Courage Doll every day, but she always manages to make me tear up with pride as she does something that is so very hard for her to do. And look at all she has accomplished!
I told Carrie at the beginning of the day that I didn't mind Leia Rose using "big arms" during fun noodle & kick board time, . . . but not during actual swimming because I saw her sink to the bottom again and again. So today Carrie encouraged her to "paddle, paddle, paddle, kick, kick, kick" and it worked!
Because of Leia Rose's intense fear, we decided to have a reward plan: If Leia would swim to the top step (or the side of the pool) from behind the black line, we would take her to Chuck E Cheese! So guess where Leia's going later today? . . . . : )

No comments: