Friday, August 3, 2007

More Swimming Milestones!?!

Milestone #1: The first time Mamma forgets to bring a kid's bathing suit to the pool. At least I remembered the swim diapers, rubber pants, and hat. : )


Milestone #2: Leia Rose swims on her own doing "freestyle" (or using "big arms"). First with the kickboard . . .



And the second time without . . . (Ummm, one of these days I'll remember that I can't hold the video aspect of the camera vertically. Sorry.)

Milestone #3: Leia Rose goes down the water slide for the first time, . . . herself!!! It was the last part of her last group swimming lesson, . . . and she was the only one who agreed to do it alone (with Carrie ready to jump in if needed). The only problem was that no one thought to tell her how to remain sitting up and forward, me included. So she came down backwards and with her feet up in the air. Poor Leia! She definitely swam well, but she was disoriented, so Carrie had to help her with the last few feet to the ladder. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to tell her to slide with her feet apart, leaning forward, and with her hands touching the sides for balance. I just thought she would sit down and ride, forgetting what a very small and light child she really is. Anyway, now she knows the trick and (even though she wouldn't agree to try it again today, and rightly so) she'll try it the next time we go. I was so proud of her, . . . and I felt like a real heel about not realizing that I needed to teach her about balance on the slide. Log that one in my subconscious for when Annie tries someday.

1 comment:

LauraW said...

Wow, Leia - We're impressed! Great Job :)