Friday, September 21, 2007

Great Grandma's Eyes

Today Annie and I went outside to swing this morning while Leia Rose was at school. And recently I have noticed that Annie has absolutely "pop-out blue" eyes. They are not the color of Mamma's eyes. Leia's eyes and my eyes are blue-gray. Well, I realized today (without a shadow of a doubt) that Annie has Great Grandma Betty's Eyes! So while we were swinging I sang a special song to the tune of Amy Grant's "My Father's Eyes" (which is also special because, even though it's really about having God the Father's eyes full of compassion, I used it as the dance with you, Papa, at our wedding. Do you remember?). Anyway my version today for Annie went like this: "Great Grandma's eyes. Annie has Great Grandma's Eyes. Eyes that find the good in things when good is not around. Eyes that find the Source of help, when help just can't be found. Eyes full of compassion, seeing every pain. Knowing what you're going through and feeling it the same. She's got Great Grandma's eyes. Great Grandma's eyes. Great Grandma's eyes. You know, Annie's got Great Grandma's eyes." Hence, the picture. : )

So later when Leia Rose came home and we went outside again, Leia fell in love with the song. So for her (knowing that she has my color eyes, and I actually have Oma's eyes) I sang the version with "Leia has Oma's eyes." That really made Leia smile!


Speaking of Oma, . . . here is Leia Rose playing with her "porpoise" chomper who is eating leaves (what else). : )
. . . And here is porpoise chomper drinking water from a leaf "because he was so thirsty." Gosh, she used that shark chomper so much that it broke. Yep, this one'll probably break by Christmas, too. Which is okay, because something tells me that Santa is going to bring a set of dinosaur chompers!!!


And we decided to use the hammock creatively today, . . . as a fishing net. I got to be a fish, too.

Another cool game Leia created today (this one was in Annie's room while getting Annie up from her nap, . . . which has become a tradition now, by the way) was playing "Bumble Bee." Leia got out the bee book (that really buzzes at the end) and every time she opened the page to hear it buzz, Leia and I buzzed around the room like bees as well, doing little light (gentle) stings on Annie as we passed by. By the end, Annie was listening to us intently going and she joined in the buzzing with a "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn." I was pretty impressed.

Something else cute about Leia Rose these days. She likes me to drum my fingers on her scalp. : ) She likes me to play with her hair, too (but to a bit lesser extent). (Can we say Daddy?!?) She also, numerous times a day, feels compelled to say, "Mamma you're just the best Mamma!" Gosh, I hope that's not a phase! : ) But yet, she doesn't always feel that way, . . . especially when I mention Star Wars, or even worse, Yoda. We don't know why our child is so absolutely terrified by the fabulous movie that contains the female freedom fighter bearing Leia's name. Yoda, if anyone remembers, sent Leia screaming down the isle of Toys R Us at two years old, . . . and she still feels the same today, even with us insisting that he's the good guy. So when we start talking about that, and that she told us she would rethink the whole thing when she was five, she sobbs while she says, "I really like being four. Four's a really good age!" At which point we assure her that she doesn't have to watch anything that she doens't want to, . . . and Mamma promised to not even talk about Yoda until her fifth birthday. It's just that Leia builds things up so much in her mind with her vivid imagination, that she can't get past them, . . . even if they are totally untrue and if the people she loves most in the world assure her that she's wrong. Doesn't matter. And then there's Shenandoah and Armelle who are going to be Darth Vader and Princess Leia for Halloween. *sigh* Lucky, lucky Laura! : ) [The big question is, will Leia Rose agree to go to Shenan's fifth birthday party, . . . assured to be a Star Wars party? . . . Maybe if I don't tell Leia the theme . . . ] Got to love these little-girl quirks! : )

1 comment:

Karin said...

Beautiful blue eyes!! :)

So funny about Star Wars. Well, Kevin is scared of butterflies. ;) ha! Go figure. By the way, Greg & Cathi's entrance at their reception a couple weeks ago was to the Star Wars Imperial March! Ha! :) (I think my mom planned that without their knowledge.)

And Kevin is getting a dinosaur chomper for Christmas too! ha.