Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Rough, Smooth, Boing!!!

Annie and I got creative together in our bedroom today. We created a game called "Rough, Smooth, Boing!" Annie crawled over to our rock doorstop in the corner of our room (which is actually a piece of pahoehoe lava from Mt. Haleakala in Hawaii) and started looking at it. Seeing the opportunity, I rushed over and said "rough" while she felt the rock and then "smooth" while she touched the wall. Then she shifted her weight and reached the attached spring doorstop and immediately giggled (because she discovered one yesterday) she pulled it back and let out its characteristic "booooiinnnngggg" while I said "boing!" She laughed. Then it became a game: "Rough" (rock), "Smooth" (wall), "Boooiiinnnngggg," (spring doorstop). "Rough," "Smooth," "Boing." Again and Again.

As you can see, I wasn't too productive with the camera today in that, yes, I got Annie's cold. But at least I caught the above gem, complete with drool strand to the floor, as well as (count them) six additional droplets. : ) After school, Leia and I made some popcorn on the stove because "it takes longer," Leia said. I guess she wanted the time to last. : ) Then as she was sitting there on the counter, I took her face in my hands and told her how much I missed her when she was at Extended Day and how I was a little bit sad that our afternoon times together on weekdays were just a little bit shorter. To which Leia replied, "That's just how it has to happen, Mamma. That's just how it has to happen." And I laughed so hard! And as Leia often does, she said, "Mamma, please don't laugh at me!" I told her that I was only laughing because what she said was so cute. "I know I'm cute," sighed Leia Rose. Ha! And even though Leia Rose still insists that reading is work for her, while the popcorn was popping, she looked over at the refrigerator and read the words "I'm next" on a restaurant coloring page. Then she started singing, "The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah! The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah! The ants go marching two by two and the little one stopped to tie his shoe and they all went marching down to the ground to get out of the rain, . . . We sang that in school today, Mamma!" When the popcorn was done, we watched Jessica's ballet recital on DVD with one problem, . . . we couldn't find Jessica. We did see Miss Lindsay, though. She was Leia's summer ballet teacher. Oh how Leia Rose hopes there's an opening on Saturdays this year! I sure hope so!

2 comments:

Karin said...

Sorry to hear you got sick too! I'll pass you a kleenex. ;) We all have it too!

So cute about what Leia said regarding that that's how it has to happen! :) HA!!

And funny about the popcorn, cuz I'm sitting here eating some myself. ;)

Anonymous said...

we spend hundreds of dollars on all kinds of toys and electronic items and the door stop gets the biggest reaction! Ha! It goes to show that if you are creative you can teach a great deal (and have a bunch of fun) using items you already have around the house!and YOU, Noelle are a master of creativity! Love - Mom