Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"What did you do at school today, Leia?"

"Mamma! . . . Mamma! I helped carry heavy things today! I helped carry heavy things! A crocodile see-saw and a wagon, too! I helped a new little boy! And today we learned the names of our fingers: the thumb, the pointer finger, the pinkie, the ring finger, . . . and the toe guy! [Now how she came up with 'toe guy' for the middle/index finger, I'll never know!] : ) And, Mamma, crayons are easiest to draw with. Crayons and markers. It's paint that's the hardest. I drew a picture with paint today, but it's hard. And I did two new works today! They're matching works. Both of them have blindfolds. The first I did with Mrs. Schnell as a partner. I was supposed to shake these different shakers until I found two that sounded the same. Then I did the feeling matching work where I had to feel these little circles until I found two that felt the same. And the scratchy ones I always got wrong! Ha! Those silly scratchy ones! And outside I drew chalk pictures with Natalie Abey, . . . and I drew a happy bird! [These 'happy birds' are truly becoming Leia's signature picture these days.] And we also sang a new song today. It went like this, "Down in the station, early in the morning, see the little puff-bellies all in a row. See the station master pull the little handle. Puff puff, toot toot, hear the whistle blow!" [So, what are puff-bellies, I wonder? It's just so precious how children can hear something different!]

Then on the way home, Leia became fascinated with the concept of "room temperature." Because I asked her what she wanted for lunch. (She said Chef Boyardee.) And I asked her if she wanted it cold, warm, or room temperature. She decided on room temperature, . . . and all the way home she sang a song she made up that went like this, "I want it room temperature. Yes, I want it room temperature. I want it room temperature." : )

[Just a little update. The next day, I did ask Mrs. Schnell about "Toe Guy." She said they were singing "Where is Thumbkin" and the middle finger verse goes, "Where is Tall Man? Where is Tall Man? Here I am. Here I am." etc. There you go. Tall Man = Toe Guy!]

No comments: