Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sensory Experience

In addition to her usual book-reading and block-building and bowl-banging and breakfast-eating, Annie tried some new sensory experiences today. Here's a game called "Mamma's Hat / Annie's Hat." I was amazed at how fast Annie imitated me when I put a bowl on my head. There's no delay now. None at all. Such a smarty!


I also got our our new steamer/strainer (courtesy of Miss Laurie) because of how Miss Hollis mentioning how much enjoyment Declan got out of theirs. It was a good way to teach "open and close." Don't think Annie was as interested as Declan, though.


Annie can push buttons now!!! She's been doing little buttons for a week or so, but now she can push the heads on our favorite "mesmerizer" blocks to see the little wheels turn around. Annie also loved the peek-a-boo sliding/flipping things on the back of these blocks. She can do those herself, too.


Then, at Oma's suggestion, I got out our Thomas the Train and let Annie play around inside. She was enthralled! So funny! . . . There I was last week trying to make a tunnel out of two chairs leaning against the couch (Can we say dangerous? No wonder she didn't want to try it!) And here was a ready-made tunnel right in the next room! Duh! Evidence of my lack of brain-power since becoming a Mamma. Anyway, when Annie started sucking her thumb intensely inside the train, we went upstairs to read an abridged version of The Little Engine that Could, . . . and then nap.

Unfortunately, there was something we couldn't include in our sensory experience today: the peek-a-boo puzzle, . . . because we've lost the flowers and the "guy." We can't find them anywhere. Leia keeps saying, "Just ask Santa Claus to bring two more!" (Because that's what he did for Annie last year.) Only problem is, the Melissa and Doug company doesn't make replacements anymore! Uh oh! I've been telling Leia, "Well, Santa gives a new set to each child, but he has to save the rest for the poor children." Ha! So far that seems to work. I'm thinking about making my own to put in there, but I can't think of a way to make them "drool-proof." Cardboard just won't cut it.

2 comments:

April said...

Try "Sculpy." It's a bakeable polymer clay that you can get at craft stores. It would certainly be drool proof, but I would call the company to make sure a little person can suck on it.

Love,
April

Lauren said...

try laminating the cardboard. They sell sheets for it. My mom used to laminate EVERYTHING in our house... not really sure why... LOL